Share
  • Book Review
  • English(English)

Dreaming for the Dreamless: A Book No One Reads by Kim Miwol

Description

Korea used to be a country where 80 percent of the population constituted the poor and the remaining 20 percent, the rich. The division is now 90 to 10. In other words, the gap between the rich and the poor is growing much wider, and the biggest victims of the increasingly polarized society are youth in their teens and 20s. When asked “What is your dream?” they answer that they want to become a teacher, policeman, or civil servant. They pick these occupations because they offer job security, not because they are their dream jobs. What could their lives be like in a society that does not inspire them to pursue their dreams but makes them seek jobs where they will not be laid off? Kim Miwol is one of the young contemporary novelists who draws a detailed, forlorn portrait of today’s youth.

 

Source: http://list.or.kr/node/733

Translated Books (5)

News from Abroad (1)

Book Reviews (3)

Book Proposals (2)